am
pm

West Africa Time - DST
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
MILAIRPIX.COM Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Save the Skymaster at North Weald (Read 8695 times)

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Zodiac sign: Leo
Save the Skymaster at North Weald
Apr 13th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Quote:
Important Update !

Due to unforeseen expenditure problems with another project, the current bidder has had to withdraw from the Skymaster project. The Good News is that she could fly again with some work done. The survey carried out was positive and we have all the facts and figures to make her airworthy again in JUST 8 MONTHS ! Her engines are good and we have 2 x spares !

The Very Important bit is that we only have 3 months ...Yes ! Three months left to raise £65,000 to secure the aircraft and pay for parking for a period of 1 year before the owner starts stripping her down for spares and scrap....We all know what happened to the other one !

We need to talk to investors and request donations and sponsorship to save her. The restoration cost has been factored in at £200k with contingency of £300k. This excludes insurance , licencing & registration. This is not a lot of money compared to a Spitfire or P-51 Mustang which cost £2,5 million to restore and is a fraction of the size.

The plan is to set up a Charitable Trust or society and fund raise for the restoration. We spoken to a number of organisations already and they are willing to get on board and give some funding ASAP. Volunteers with the necessary skills will be welcomed ! This helps keep restoration cost down to a minimum. Once restored we will secure permanent hangar space for her and ALL the supporters will be able to visit and get to see inside. Flights will be offered to just as they do in the USA. She can do the airshow circuit in the UK and Europe which will bring in vital appearance money.

Next year is the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift and what a fantastic achievement it would be if we could have her ready and fly into Berlin for the event !

Can I please ask that you share this message and help us save this iconic Warbird.

Feel free to contact me at allan@hcas.me.uk if you are able or willing to contribute to saving her in any way, whether it be fundraising /talking to corporate sponsors and hands on skills etc. Thank you."

Taken from Save the Skymaster Facebook Page. Spread the word! (I am not associated with this project)

WWW WWW  
IP Logged   Chrome 49.0.2623.112  Windows Vista

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Re: Save the Skymaster at North Weald
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2017 at 10:44am

Quote:
Over the last few days we have had a great development and I can now declare that the
Skymaster has been Saved !
The owner has kindly gifted the aircraft to Save the Skymaster group and I will form a trust with the owner and others being trustees and fully supportive of it's restoration back to flight.
This is a huge weight off my shoulders as we now can breath a sigh of relief that the aircraft will be preserved.
I am meeting with press, media and sponsors over the next few weeks. However we have a long way to go and fundraising from supporters and sponsors is the only way we are going to get her airworthy.
The target to aim for is £350,000 and I have produced a brochure detailing the restoration plan and should you want to receive a brochure or would like to find out how you can help out in anyway with this project, please email me at allan@hcas.me.uk
Thank you all who believe in this project and who have kindly donated so far. Let the journey begin !
Come and visit us at North Weald on the 17th & 18th of June and see for yourself !

Cheesy

WWW WWW  

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2017 at 3:37pm

From Facebook

Quote:
I have brought the amount down for the first phase to £50,000 as we can accomplish this in stages and with corporate sponsorship too. Come and visit us at North Weald on the 17th & 18th of June and meet the team and see the aircraft hands on.

WWW WWW  

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2017 at 5:49pm

There's now a Skymaster return to flight project PDF available for download which outlines what will be involved in returning the aircraft to flight. Just click on the following link to download
http://www.milairpix.com/downloads/skymaster_project_plan_v2.pdf

WWW WWW  

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2017 at 6:15pm

Return to flight of Douglas C-54Q Skymaster 56498 at North Weald

WWW WWW  

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 6:54pm

From the Save the Skymaster Facebook page dated 27th October
https://www.facebook.com/savetheskymaster/?fref=nf

Quote:
Following on with our meeting on Tuesday at North Weald it's all go for Save the Skymaster ! We have a lot of paperwork to do to satisfy the FAA and the UK CAA before we tackle the work . The team are all very positive and with everyones help we can get 498 back in the air !
   Cheesy

WWW WWW  

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:34pm

Weʼre raising £10,000 so we can commence work on the C-54 Skymaster. We need your help so that we can acquire tooling, tyres & necessary equipment to start work.

Quote:
The C-54 Skymaster Society are needing to purchase vital tooling and manuals from Canada as well as new tyres for this rare surviving C-54 Skymaster aircraft so that it can move on it's undercarriage. A work station needs to be set up at the North Weald airfield so inspections work can commence and the removal of all the control surfaces, ailerons, rudder and elevators. These need to be stripped down and inspected then prepared for recovering. This £10,000 will help us achieve the first steps in getting the aircraft prepared for the major work on the structural repairs and engine overhauls. We are in the process of applying for charitable status so that we can gain access to further funding. We are working closely on this project with Cranfield Aerospace and the FAA and UK CAA. Please help by donating and should you wish to be a member of the C-54 Skymaster Society or volunteer to help, please contact Allan on allan@hcas.me.uk

WWW WWW