am
pm

Universal Time Coordinated - DST
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
MILAIRPIX.COM Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

RAF Mildenhall and Marshalls (Read 2519 times)

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Zodiac sign: Leo
RAF Mildenhall and Marshalls
Sep 6th, 2006 at 9:32am

For those who might not have heard, a Final Report on the possible relocation sites away from Cambridge for Marshalls has recently been released.

There are 4 sites listed.

RAF Wyton
RAF Mildenhall - to the West
RAF Mildenhall to the South West
RAF Mildenhall to the South.

From our Hobby point of view the following consequences arise at Mildenhall.
The West option will overlay the Willows Camp Site Facility at the 11 end.
The South West option will close off Pollards Lane halfway down and enclose the present viewing facility at the 11 end within the new perimeter.
The South option should be of no consequence.
All of the options will of course create 'new views'.

Not related to the above is a new access road currently being constructed to access the Waterworks site to the north of Rw 11. Depending on where any gates are sited this may lead to good views across the airfield from the 11 end.

The main purpose of the Marshalls site will be 2 main hangers - one to hold up to 14 C130 aircraft - the other to hold 3 x C17's. This suggests  - and I speculate - that Marshalls may be given the job of maintaining (some) RAF aircraft.

The report goes into various Environmental, Access, Noise Factors etc at each of the 4 sites. It does not make any recommendations. The timescale is 2012.

From our point of view as Enthusiasts the reports authors use a significant statistic.
The report states that Mildenhall had 300 movements per day in 2005.
This is forecast to rise to 362 Movements per day by 2016 - over 50 of which will be generated by Marshalls.

Now I am no statistician - but 300 movements day between the working hours of 0600 and 2300 gives a rate of one movement every 3-4 minutes! My impression over the last 18 months is that 30 movements would be an unusually busy day for Mildenhall. In fact 3 movements a day or less is often all you will see.

However this does explain the mystery of why so many USAF aircraft use Prestwick, Stansted, Brize Norton etc. If USAFE really believes Mildenhall is handling a movement every 3-4 minutes then obviously other traffic will need to go elsewhere.

Someone has lost the plot here or is it just me?

Info courtesy Brian - runway11 via Touchdown

(Attachment deleted)
WWW WWW  
IP Logged  

Stu
God Member

I Hope you enjoy these
forums!

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Re: RAF Mildenhall and Marshalls
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 6:31pm

Lost the plot i think  Roll Eyes