am
pm

Universal Time Coordinated
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
MILAIRPIX.COM Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THUNDERBIRDS F-16 CRASH: MHAFB (Read 5203 times)

RW
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
THUNDERBIRDS F-16 CRASH: MHAFB
Feb 8th, 2004 at 3:12am

"I'm a Still Photographer for the USAF and I was stationed at MHAFB during the air show. I was on the catwalk of the tower at Mtn Home along with another photog (video) and about seven other (military) spectators. I have shot the T-birds from the tower before and I was pretty excited to do it again (the sky was perfect blue). I followed Thunderbird 6 from takeoff and watched as he pulled into his manoeuver. I then noticed something seemed to be wrong, his direction was a little off; he was pulling out and heading right towards the tower. At this point I figured two things:
1. He's either going to fly past this tower and we'll feel the heat or
2. This is going to be ugly...
I waited for the aircraft to level and clicked the shutter, what I saw through the lens will never go away...

At the same time as I shot I seen a flash of light and horrific sound. I was shooting on high speed continuous and the next couple frames were a ball of fire and my feet, right before I ran. We all ran to the other side of the tower, I tried to get everyone in along with my partner and finally made it in myself. By the time we got inside the 16 had stopped sliding and rested about 100 ft in front of the tower. I then continued documenting the work of our base firefighters as they put out the flames. It was an experience and though I can't officially make any comments to the matter, I would like to
say Capt Stricklin saved lives... enough said."

For those who are wondering the image is not cleared for public release. Also for those fellow photogs I was shooting with a D1x with a 300mm, 2.8 @ 1000 and 2000

Thanks,
SSgt Bennie J. Davis III

The Administrator.
WWW WWW  
IP Logged  

hotsauce1
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: THUNDERBIRDS F-16 CRASH: MHAFB
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 3:49am

What happen i just want  to know because look like nothing happen ???

IP Logged  

Roger Whitcomb

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 4:14pm

The pilot, Capt. Stricklin, had unfortunately programmed in the wrong altitude into his F-16 to perform the Split S manoeuvre. He realised his F-16 was going to crash so he banked away from the crowd and ejected. He actually managed to eject an eighth of a second before his plane hit the ground and exploded!   Shocked

IP Logged  

whity

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 8:31pm

It seems to me that the first post has been bluntly copied from the excellent F-16.net forum!

See: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-514-start-30.html

IP Logged  

Roger Whitcomb

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 8:43pm

The text was actually taken from the scramble.nl site!
I don't see there's a problem in it anyway, copyright for the image is actually given to the photographer which many sites haven't done!!

Roger   Smiley

IP Logged