am
pm

Universal Time Coordinated - DST
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
MILAIRPIX.COM Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Classic Air Force to Close & Planes to be Sold (Read 1436 times)

Roger Whitcomb
YaBB Administrator

MILAIRPIX Forum

Zodiac sign: Leo
Classic Air Force to Close & Planes to be Sold
Aug 20th, 2015 at 4:08pm

It has been announced that the Classic Air Force based at Coventry Airport will close and the aircraft will be sold.

Quote:
Press Release:

Historic Aircraft Collection to be Sold
International Buyers Looking to Acquire Classic British Machines

Europe’s largest collection of post-war classic aircraft is to be sold. The Classic Air Force, which operates over thirty planes, including the world’s oldest flyable jet, is actively inviting offers from interested organisations and individuals. The move follows the announcement by CAF’s founder, Mike Collett, that he intends to retire.

Now 72, Collett co-founded the Air Atlantique group in 1977, a freight and pollution control company that at one time owned the world’s largest fleet of WW2 Dakota freighters.

The Classic Air Force stable is unusual in that it focuses mainly on the Cold War years, an era ignored by most other historic collections. Most of its aircraft are either flyable or in the final stages of restoration to flight. They are a frequent and popular sight at air shows, and are regularly to be seen in the skies above the Flight’s headquarters at Coventry Airport. Highlights include two Gloster Meteors – the T7, which is now the world’s oldest flyable jet, and the NF-11 night-fighter, which is the world’s only example still flying. The collection also boasts the actual Canberra that achieved a world altitude record of 70,310 feet (21,469 metres) in 1957.

“The absolute essential is that they keep flying,” says Collett. “These are living pieces of history, capable of teaching piloting and engineering skills that could otherwise be lost. Our commitment has always been to keep these aircraft alive and operational rather than let them become dead museum pieces.
“All other considerations being second to that, I’m open to suggestions. If a committed, well-funded organisation puts a convincing proposition to me then it may well be possible for the whole collection to pass into new ownership. In many ways that’s my favourite scenario.”

So does that mean that the collection could be broken up?

“I’d prefer for them to remain a collection, of course, but if an offer came in for an individual airframe, and I was satisfied that the buyer could maintain it in airworthy condition, then of course I’d give it serious consideration, but I’m more interested in each aeroplane’s future as living, flying history than I am in a tempting financial offer.”

Mike’s timing for his retirement and the potential sale or transfer of the collection is relaxed. “I’m not looking for a quick result,” he says. “I’m committed to finding the right owners or partners. A small selection of aircraft will be auctioned by Bonham’s in September, but I’m quite happy if it takes a year to find the right homes for the remainder. Once I’m sure that these unique aeroplanes will keep on flying for future generations then I’ll feel I’ve done my job.”

WWW WWW  
IP Logged   Chrome 44.0.2403.155  Windows Vista